Good morning, all and happy Sunday!
New York Yankees DH Giancarlo Stanton is injured again. Stop me if you have not read that line before. This latest injury, on a player making $29M per year and has not played in a game since Apr. 24, places the Yankees at a crossroads. I talk about it in the commentary.
Here are some other thoughts:
Vladimir Guerrero Jr. came off the injured list for the defending AL champion Toronto Blue Jays yesterday. Guerrero’s 14-year, $500M contract kicked in this season. Would you believe he has yet to hit a home run at home this season? Believe it.
I keep hearing a lot of conversation about whether Toronto’s Dylan Cease or the Yankees Cam Schlittler will win this season’s AL Cy Young Award. What about the Red Sox Sonny Gray? After beating the Giants Friday night, his record improved to 16-3 with a 2.79 ERA.
I know Arizona manager Tory Lovullo said what a player does on his own time is his business, but Ketel Marte being spotted at a casino, after ditching the club in Boston last week, only to be told later he was injured, is not a good look. Marte was at the casino, while his Diamondbacks had a game.
Word is the NFL is not giving up on reopening contract talks with the TV networks that carry their games, even though the deals do not expire, until after the 2033 season. The networks, getting record ratings, are happy with the current contracts, which can be reopened after 2029. The NFL wants the networks to pay more money now, because of those ratings. The networks are politely telling the networks to pound sand. Expect this saga to continue throughout the season.
That is going to do it for today’s newsletter. Have a splendid Sunday and thank you for being a subscriber!
DAN









